This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a chocolate lovers dream. Moist, chocolate bread with chocolate chips inside and on top. Plus it is low fat with added nutrition from the applesauce and zucchini making it a healthy treat as well.
Yes, I admit it.
I may have failed to mention to my picky eater son that this bread had zucchini in it.
And he devoured it. Sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do.
But, you are welcome to full disclosure if you so desire.
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
The ingredients are pretty basic baking ingredients:
- brown sugar (does delicious things with chocolate)
- cocoa powder
- eggs. or egg substitute
- baking soda, salt, vanilla
- chocolate chips, semi sweet, white or dark, regular, large, mini
- applesauce, in place of oil normally used in zucchini bread
Low Fat Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups packed shredded zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, apple sauce, vanilla extract. Stir until ingredients are wet, do not over mix.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini and ¾ cup of the chocolate chips until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and set on cooling rack and let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely before serving.