Brighten up your summer meals with this healthy Lemon Herb Chicken and Squash.
Experience the burst of citrus, fragrant herbs, and sweet, earthy squash! It's the the perfect blend of flavor and nutritious goodness. All ready in under 30 minutes.
Summer is a wonderful time of bountiful summer squashes and herbs... and scorching heat that makes you dread standing in a hot kitchen cooking dinner.
This recipe is just what you need. It's a healthy blend of fresh flavors, that comes together quickly with just a quick sauté. Keep it low carb and serve it as is, or with some rice or pasta.
Say goodbye to humdrum meals and hello to a vibrant dining experience with minimal effort.
Ingredients for Lemon Herb Chicken and Squash
You only need a few ingredients to make this simple meal:
chicken - boneless, skinless breasts or thighs
lemon - fresh is best so you can have the zest for extra oomph, or you can just used bottled lemon juice
fresh zucchini and yellow squash - or any summer squash you want to use.
red onion - I like the pop of purply color, but yellow or white will work.
fresh garlic - jarred minced garlic is the preferred substitute or - sigh, about a teaspoon of powdered garlic if you have to (haha!)
fresh herbs - oregano, parsley and basil. The oregano can be dried, but the parsley and basil really need to be fresh for the best taste.
olive oil and salt and pepper
more 30 minute meal recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Weeknights can be busy, especially during the school year. Here are some delicious, but quick cooking, recipes perfect for busy nights:
30 Minute Meals
- 20 Minute Sticky Mongolian Beef from Jen Around the World
- Lemon Herb Chicken and Squash from That Recipe
- Pork Piccata Stir-Fry from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Sheet Pan Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken and Vegetables (Paleo) from Blogghetti
- Singapore-Style Chili Garlic Shrimp and Rice from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Thai Coconut Lime Chicken from Art of Natural Living
- 2 medium lemons (1 is optional)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (cubed)
- ½ large red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced thin and cut into half rounds)
- 1 small yellow squash (sliced thin and cut into half rounds)
- fresh parsley (chopped)
- sprigs fresh basil
- small lemon wedges
- Zest one lemon, slice in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Slice remaining lemon into thin slices for garnish. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, and minced garlic. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Place the cubed chicken in another medium bowl and pour half the marinade on top. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Add the sliced squash to the original bowl with the marinade and toss to combine and set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add remaining tablespoon olive oil and sliced red onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook until the onion softens and start to develop some color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer the chicken and onions to a platter.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the seasoned zucchini and yellow squash to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender and nicely browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Return the chicken, onions, and juices to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, and springs of fresh basil. Serve immediately with additional lemon slices if desired.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
more weeknight fast recipes
Until next time, happy eating!