Nutella Swirled Black Bean Brownies are amazing moist, fudgy chocolate brownies that just so happen to be gluten free.
One look at the ingredient list might make picky eaters balk at trying these brownies.
Bake them in secret if you have to and don't tell about the secret ingredients if you need to.
My guys devoured them never guessing there was anything different about them other than the swirl of chocolate hazelnut spread.
Ingredients for Nutella Swirled Black Bean Brownies
Eggs - or an egg substitute for vegan.
Baking powder, soda, vanilla, brown sugar, vegetable oil, cocoa powder - basic brownie ingredients.
Are you with me so far? Good.
Now, we get to the ARE YOU CRAZY ingredients:
Black Beans - no, you don't taste them. They take the place of the flour and help give the beans a dark chocolate color.
Vinegar - no, you don't taste it. This small amount is important though as it works with baking soda to make the brownies rise.
Instant espresso or coffee powder - no, you don't taste it. Adding a pinch of espresso powder deepens the chocolate flavor without making the recipe taste like coffee.
Nutella Swirled Black Bean Brownies
- 14 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cups coconut or light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
- ⅕ cup chocolate hazelnut spread (aka Nutella)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Put the black beans, eggs, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in the blender. Mash the beans a little with a spoon or spatula. Then blend until mixture is smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and coffee. Blend just until smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Drop the chocolate hazelnut spread by tablespoonful around the batter and swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until brownies are set up and a toothpick tests clean. Allow brownies to cool 15 minutes before cutting into them.
Sound tasty? Share it with other!
More Gluten Free Desserts
Until next time, happy eating.