Do you need an easy but festive holiday dessert? Check out these semi-homemade Peppermint Snowflake Cupcakes.
These festive cupcakes start with a boxed cake mix, just to make life a little easier. And then I added peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. And for those of us that suck at cake and cupcake decorating (or want something pretty but easy) a simple buttercream frosting, with some white sugar sprinkles and homemade white chocolate snowflakes.
Making the Chocolate Snowflakes
I used white chocolate because I wanted white on white to create a snowy effect. But, you can use colored melting wafers, or some food coloring. I think blue would be really pretty.
If you are using white chocolate chips you NEED the coconut oil to keep the snowflakes from melting when handling.
Print this Snowflake Template and put on a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper on top (so you can see the template through it).
Melt the chocolate and use a piping bag with a fine tip or a sandwich bag with one corner snipped off.
Then pipe the lines on the template, cleaning up with a toothpick as needed. Chill them until ready to decorate the cupcakes.
More Christmas Cupcake Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Cookies are one way to celebrate the holidays, but if you want something a little different this year, try these cupcake recipes:
Delicious Cupcake Recipes
- Caramel Irish Cream Cupcakes from Palatable Pastime
- Grapefruit Cupcakes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Orange Cranberry White Chocolate Cupcakes from Pandemonium Noshery
- Peppermint Snowflake Cupcakes from That Recipe
- Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Buttercream from Art of Natural Living
Peppermint Snowflake Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 20-24 mini candy canes or starlight mints (broken into small pieces)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips (see note)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- white sugar sprinkles
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or peppermint extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk (more or less)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake tins with wrappers.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, eggs, oil, water and pepermint extract. Beat two minutes on medium until fluffy. Fold in broken candy cane pieces.
- Fill cupcake cups ⅔ full. Bake 14-19 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
Make Chocolate Snowflakes
- Print snowflake template. Place on a baking sheet and cover with a piece of waxed or parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe dish, add white chocolate and coconut oil. Heat for 30 seconds and stir until chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Pour chocolate into a small plastic bag, snip off a small piece of one corner. Pipe along the lines of the snowflake template. Sprinkle with white sugar sprinkles.
- Place the baking tray in the refrigerator to harden.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and shortening until blended and fluffy. Beat in vanilla or peppermint extract.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping bowl as needed, until completely blended.
- Thin to desired consistency with milk.
Assemble the Cupcakes
- When cupcakes are cool, frost with with buttercream. Add a snowflake to each cupcake and sprinkle with white sugar sprinkles.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Cupcake Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!