Have you ever had Kolache? It is a Central European (Hungarian, Czech, Ukrainian, etc.) treat made with a rich brioche like dough filled with sweetened nut or seed filling. And it is DELICIOUS!
In my husband’s house growing up, this was breakfast every Christmas morning. You can enjoy it any time of the year, but since the only time my Mother-in-Law makes it is in December I automatically associate it with Christmas. When, I handed a plate of it to my neighbor she said she is going to make it for Thanksgiving morning.
So make it now, pin it for the holidays or a lazy weekend morning, whatever you want.
The recipe is simple, but there are two LONG rising periods. First you let the dough rise overnight in the refrigerator and then one more rise before it goes in the oven. IF you want light airy dough, do not skrimp on either one of these.Hungarian Kolache is a sweet roll filled with almond or poppy seed filling. Great for Christmas Breakfast. Click To Tweet
Hungarian Kolache is a sweet roll filled with almond or poppy seed filling.
- 1 packet yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 can Almond or Poppy Seed Filling
- The night before you plan to make the Kolache, in a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Beat in remaining flour to form a soft dough. Transfer to a greased bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough out into a 14 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread with filling.
- Roll like a cinnamon or jelly roll to make a 14" long cylinder. Pinch edges to seal, place seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let rise until doubled in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Cool and slice.
The dough needs to rest overnight in the refrigerator before baking. The almond or poppy seed filling can usually be found with the pie fillings at the grocery store.
Other delicious breakfast recipes you may enjoy:
Until next time, happy eating.