This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Almond Orange Crepes are an easy dessert that can be made ahead and heated just before serving to impress your family or guests.
We made these crepes on February 2nd for La Chandeleur. We have Groundhog Day to mark midwinter, the French have Crepe Day. The tradition holds that if you can flip the crepe with one hand while holding gold in another and it lands in the pan you will have good fortune for the coming year. You can read more about it and get my Basic Crepe recipe here.
We love crepes in this house, so any excuse to make them works for us.
This recipe is based on one by Julia Child from the cookbook of recipes from her original cooking show, The French Chef. She flambees them at serving. To get it to flame you need to warm 1/3 cup each cognac and orange liqueur, pour on top then light on fire just before serving. Contrary to popular opinion, a few minutes of open flame does not burn off much of the alcohol.
But that’s not why I skipped the step. My son is still skittish about fire and he thought I lost my mind when I suggested a flaming dessert.
It is still impressive and delicious without the flames, but add them for an adult crowd if you’d like.
Spring Sweets Week
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2021 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks With the weather warming up and flowers beginning to bloom let’s celebrate with spring sweets and a fun giveaway!
This year 24 food bloggers from around the country are sharing over 100 sweet recipes that are perfect for the spring season. So say goodbye to the snow and cold and get ready to enjoy the best spring treats like cupcakes, cookies, pies, dessert boards, and even a few beverages!
Thursday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Carrot Cake Muffins by Sweet Beginnings
- Carrot Sponge Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coffee Cinnamon Rolls by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Crepes with Orange Butter and Almonds by That Recipe
- Easter Cook Cake by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Key Lime Mini Loaf Cakes by Jen Around the World
- Key Lime No Bake Cheesecake by Devour Dinner
- Kumquat Lavender Marmalade by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Lavender Bread by Eat Move Make
- Mandarin Orange Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mini Coconut-Lemon Quick Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Raspberry Almond Cappuccino Parfaits by Blogghetti
- Raspberry Almond Scones with Coffee Glaze by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie by House of Nash Eats
We share recipes from #SpringSweetsWeek on Pinterest! Make sure you follow the board to see all the delicious recipes shared this week.
Spring Sweets Week Giveaway
Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you to Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Door County Coffee, Circulon, Taylor and Colledge, and Nairn’s for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway with six amazing prizes and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and the prizes that you can win!
You can see a full description of the prizes in this post.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Almond Orange Crepes
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1¼ cups flour
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Orange Butter recipe follows
- ½ cup almond meal or pulverize almonds in a food processor
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine crepe ingredients in a blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate at least1 hour before cooking for best results to allow the flour to absorb the liquid. Can be made the day before cooking.
- Spray a small 5 or 6 inch skillet with cooking spray. and heat to medium. To test if the pan is at the right temperature, place a tablespoon of batter in the middle, if it cooks completely in 20 seconds the pan is ready. Adjust the heat up or down if it cooks faster or slower.
- Respray pan if needed. Pour ¼ cup of batter into pan and swirl until the batter covers the bottom of the pan. Cook for 20-30 seconds until crepe looks cooked and edges just begin to brown, flip, cook for another 20 seconds to brown the other side.
- Remove from pan, place on a plate and repeat until all crepes are cooked. Crepes can be stacked, placed in a zip to lock bag in the refrigerator or freezer. If freezing, remove a few hours before preparing to defrost.
- Prepare the Orange Butter recipe below.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup of softened Orange Butter with almonds and almond extract. Can be done ahead of time and refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator about 15-20 minutes before prepping to allow the butter to soften.
Orange Almond Crepes
- Spread a spoonful of butter mixture on a third of each crepe, roll into a cylinder and place in a single layer in a large casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (up to a day in advance).
- Move the oven rack to the upper third of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of crepes and bake for 15 minutes until sugar has lightly caramelized. Serve immediately.
Whipped Orange Butter
- 2 large oranges
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ pound unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur optional
- Zest the oranges using a zester or vegetable peeler. Using a mortar and pestle, food processor or knife and chopping board combine the the zest and sugar until the peel is ultrafine.
- Add orange sugar to a mixing bowl with the butter and beat with an electric mixer to combine.
- Cut oranges in half and squeeze juices. Strain juice and add ⅔ cup juice and liqueur (if using) to the butter and whip together with the mixer.
- Store in a jar or other container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
More Orange Desserts
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Circulon, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor and Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected.
The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.
Until next time, happy eating!