These low fat Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing are a fun Fall treat the kids can help bake.
The recipe is from Sesame Street: B is for Baking – 50 Yummy Dishes to Make Together with a few alterations for our tastes. Even though the book is written for preschoolers, it is still one of our favorite cookbooks. Now, my son can make the entire recipe by himself without much supervision.
One quick word about the Icing. This is not a thick fluffy buttercream frosting. It is a rich maple brown sugar icing that is a bit runny, but firms up nicely. It is a nice compliment to the cupcakes and doesn’t overwhelm them like a frosting would.
The icing is so good by itself it would make a great fruit dip!
All Things Apples
This week the From Our Dinner Table group is celebrating apples. We’ve got recipes for everything from breakfast to dessert.
- Apple Cupcakes w/ Maple Cream Cheese Icing by That Recipe
- Apple Fritter Bread by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw by Art of Natural Living
- Crock Pot Apple Butter by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Fried Apples by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Applesauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Romanian Apple Rice Pudding by Pandemonium Noshery
These healthier Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing make a delightful Fall treat.
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cups apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup real maple syrup approximate measure
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until blended
- Add egg, applesauce and oil. Mix with an electric mixer on medium low for 2 to 3 minutes, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Stir in chopped apple.
- Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 – 3/4 full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, in a small bowl mash together the cream cheese and brown sugar. Add the maple syrup a tablespoon or so at a time to thin the icing. This is not buttercream frosting it will not be thick and fluffy. It is meant to be a slightly runny glaze.
- If it seems like it is getting too runny, don’t add the full amount of syrup. Put in fridge until cupcakes are baked and cool. It will thicken upon standing.
Remove icing from fridge and stir. Add more maple syrup to thin if necessary. Using a teaspoon, scoop out a small amount of cake from the top of the cupcake, then fill the hole and the top of the cupcake with a tablespoon or so of icing. Add the removed scoop of cake on top for decoration.
- Alternate: do not scoop out a bit of cake and add an apple slice on top. This should be done immediately before serving to prevent the apple from become brown and unappealing.
Other Apple Recipes to Enjoy
Until next time, happy eating.