These crunchy little Blood Orange Spritz Cookies are bursting with natural orange flavor and color.
The Fill the Cookie Jar bloggers are sharing Green or Spring themed cookies today. Be sure to scroll below the recipe to see what the others made.
We had some beautiful blood oranges in the last few harvests from my CSA. So, I opted for these beauties instead of something St. Patrick’s Day themed.
If you aren’t familiar with blood oranges the outer peel has a slight blush to it, and the inside is a bright red. The taste is one of the strongest sweetest orangy oranges you have ever tried.
Feel free to use your favorite citrus fruit, I am sure they would be equally lovely with lemons or limes as well.
Use your favorite cookie press shape, or just make them into drop cookies. I went with the springtime flower. 😉
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Bright and beautiful blood orange cookies. #cookies #bloodoranges #naturallycolorede” quote=”Bright and beautiful blood orange cookies. ” theme=”style2″]
Blood Orange Spritz Cookies
- 1 blood orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup butter cut into slices
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Zest the orange with the fine side of a grater. Slice in half and juice both halves.
- In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg and 2 tablespoons of orange juice, mixing until combined.
- Slowly add flour until incorporated, scraping bowl periodically.
- Fill cookie press with dough using your favorite shape. Press out cookies approximately an inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake until just turning brown at edges. About 10 minutes.
- While cookies cool, prepare icing. In a small bowl add 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Stir to combine. Add more orange juice until you get your desired consistency.
- Add a drop of icing in the middle of the cookies, or drizzle over the top.
Check out the cookies the other Fill the Cookie Jar bloggers made:
Until next time, happy eating.