Do you or your guests need a dairy free eggnog for your holiday gathering? Try this easily adaptable recipe.
For me, the holiday season must include at least one carton of eggnog. I will drink it straight, with loads of freshly grated nutmeg, add it to my coffee and sometimes even bake with it (Eggnog Scones, anyone?)
This version is not quite as thick as the ready made version which is made with cream. I know some people will find that idea preferable. It is also lower in fat, sugar and overall calories.
What it isn't missing is the rich sweetly spiced taste. Mmmm!
While this recipe is delicious as is, here are a few ideas you can use to mix up the recipe:
- use your favorite dairy free milk (or use dairy milk and cream)
- sweeten with honey, maple syrup or ground dates
- for a vegan alternative use a vegan egg substitute or a mushy banana (I haven't tried the banana, so I can't tell you how it tastes)
- use rum extract instead of vanilla
- mix with rum or brandy for the adults
More Holiday Cocktails from #OurFamilyTable
- Chocolate Nut Martini (Nutty Uncle) by Art of Natural Living
- Cranberry Ginger Margarita by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Negroni by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dairy Free Eggnog by That Recipe
- Eggnog Brandy Alexander by Palatable Pastime
- Eggnog Martini by Sweet Beginnings
- Poinsettia Champagne Cocktail by Books n' Cooks
- Snickerdoodle Martini by Christmas Tree Lane
- Sparkling Wine Cider by Making Miracles
Dairy Free Eggnog
- 4 cups dairy free milk (rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
- 4 eggs (or vegan egg substitute)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (honey, sugar or other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum flavored extract
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (plus more for garnish)
- Whisk ingredients in a large sauce pan.
- Heat over medium until the mixture reaches 140° F to kill the bacteria.
- I like mine cold so I chill it at this point. But others like to serve it immediately. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.
- Mix in rum, brandy, etc. before serving if desired.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Winter Drink Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!