Pimento Cheese is a simple appetizer or sandwich spread depending on how you want to devour it.
Yes, you can buy this pre-made in the store for about $3 for a 5 ounce jar. Or you can whip it up for yourself and adjust the the amount of peppers and consistency to your preference.
Southerners are going to look at this recipe in horror – cream cheese instead of mayonnaise?! YES! This makes it thicker and great for stuffing in celery or bell peppers or shaping into a ball (or a pumpkin shape for Halloween) for a simple appetizer served with crackers. Or thin it a bit more to use as a sandwich spread, or even more to make it a dip. You can thin it with milk, the juice from the peppers or mayonnaise depending on the flavoring you want.
If you’d like to read more about the fascinating history of this spread, pop over to Serious Eats to learn how this dish has evolved from the marriage of two processed foods in the 1870’s to a Southern staple. Seriously, it was interesting and he did a lot of research!
In case you are wondering why my pimentos are orange instead of read it is because I used my Homemade Roasted Peppers, which happened to be orange the last time I made them.
- 1 pound mild cheddar cheese (cut into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces chopped roasted red peppers
- Mix cheeses and milk in food processor until smooth and spreadable but not too thin.
- Drain red peppers and save the liquid!
- Place the cheese mixture in a bowl and stir in peppers and about 1 tablespoon of the reserved liquid.
- Chill before serving. May be stored in refrigerator about one week to ten days.
Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party
Dina from Savvy in the Kitchen, Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas, Danielle from Creatively Homespun, Audrey from That Recipe, and Ashley from Forgetful Momma are our co-hosts for October.
Please make sure that you follow them in at least one way! They will be commenting on and pinning many of your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Dina from Savvy in the Kitchen**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.