This delightful Sweet Potatoes with Lemon recipe makes a quick and easy side dish that goes well with poultry, pork or fish.
I am not a big fan of canned sweet potatoes or yams drenched in sugar and topped with marshmallows. I prefer to save my dessert for after the meal. These sweet potatoes are slightly sweet and the tang from the lemon makes them a nice compliment to an otherwise heavy meal like Thanksgiving.
If you are cooking them for a holiday meal, you can peel and slice the potatoes and lemon earlier in the day and cook it while the main course is resting.
Sweet Potatoes with Lemon
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in 1" slices)
- 1 medium lemon (thinly sliced, crosswise)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- dash salt (optional)
- Place potatoes in bowl, cover with water and soak 10 minutes. Drain and replace water after 5 minutes.
- Drain water and place potatoes in medium sauce pan with sugar and 2 ½ cups fresh water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes. Add lemon slices.
- Cook about 20 minutes longer until potatoes are tender, adding more water if necessary. Serve while hot.
Until next time, happy eating.