I received compensation from Taylor & Colledge for this post. The recipe and opinions are my own.
Vegan Almond Scones are a rich, buttery flaky treat with loads of almond flavor in the scones and topping. Perfect for a cozy tea party at home.
This post is part of Flavors of Fall Week. Be sure to keep scrolling to see all of today’s fabulous recipes and to enter the giveaway thanks to our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s.
But this time I wanted to experiment with a vegan recipe. I started with a basic cream scone and started swapping. The results were magnificent. As a matter of fact, my son devoured two when I wasn’t looking.
There is one absolutely crucial key to this recipe. The coconut oil must be completely solid. I even recommend a quick chill before baking if your kitchen is warm. If the coconut oil is liquid before going into the oven you will not get the flakiness you would with butter.
This recipe makes 6 scones, and can easily be doubled.
Taylor & Colledge
To kick up the almond flavor I bypassed the almond extract and went for Taylor & Colledge almond paste. What a difference! This stuff is so strong you only use half of what you would with extract.
Taylor & Colledge only uses the finest ingredients like real almond milk and oil of bitter almonds in the almond paste. They are also committed to sustainability (particularly their vanilla beans) so their products will continue to thrill foodies for years to come.
Learn more about Taylor & Colledge and their products:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chilled butter flavored coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut cream (plus a few tablespoons for icing)
- 1 teaspoon almond paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons aquafaba (see note) (or equivalent substitute for ½ large egg)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond paste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, sugar baking powder and salt with a sifter or fine mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the cold butter flavored coconut oil into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- In a small bowl combine coconut cream, 1 teaspoon almond paste and aquafaba, whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the coconut cream mixture over the dry ingredients and stir gently just until combined. Press the mixture into a ball.
- On a floured board press dough about ½ inch thick.
- Use a large biscuit cutter or inverted glass to cut into 6 large circles.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. If the kitchen is warm and the dough seems very soft, place in the refrigerator or freezer to allow the coconut oil to become firm again.
- Bake for 18 minutes until just turning brown. Move to cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoon almond paste and 1 tablespoon coconut cream to make icing, thin with more coconut cream a little at a time as needed.
- Spread icing on cooled scones and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
Fall Flavors Week Giveaway and Recipes
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If there is no response prize is forfeited and a new winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Friday Fall Recipes
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Apple Rings by Daily Dish Recipes
- Almond Apple Galette by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Amish Pear Crumb Pie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Cider Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Apple Upside Down Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Apple Whiskey Sour by Cookaholic Wife
- Caramel Apple Pancakes by Lemon Blossoms
- Caramel Apple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple-Tea-Ni by Sweet Beginnings
- Fluffy Pumpkin Dip by Take Two Tapas
- Garlic and Thyme Smashed Sunchokes by Savory Moments
- Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake by Frugal & Fit
- Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp by Art of Natural Living
- Meyer Lemon-Lavender Vodka Martini by Books n’ Cooks
- Oaxacon Daisy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pear Fennel Sunchoke Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pear Scones with Caramel Glaze by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Pistachio and Marmalade Crusted Brie with Figs by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Chicken with Sunchokes and Lemon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic by Family Around the Table
- Scrumptious Caramel Iced Apple Cinnamon Rolls Easy Recipe by Intelligent Domestications
- Tea Infused Apple Cider Chicken by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Almond Scones by That Recipe
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected.
The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.