Cherry Pineapple Boba Tea is a delicious and refreshing homemade bubble tea made with cherry tea, pineapple juice and tapioca pearls.
When I used to work in the computer industry, my Taiwanese friends would bring me these wonderful flavored teas with chewy little balls at the bottom when they came back from their occasional lunch out of the office. It was such a treat. Two decades later, Boba places are everywhere. At least here in Southern California.
Most fruit flavored bubble tea drinks are made with a sweetened fruit flavored syrup. Delicious, but loaded with sugar. For this drink I borrowed from traditional boba tea recipes and used cherry tea then cooled the boba pearls in pineapple juice for sweetness and flavor and topped it off with a splash of sweetened condensed milk.
You can leave that last part out if you want to eliminate the refined sugar and just use your favorite dairy or non dairy milk
What are boba pearls and where do you get them?
The little black pearls at the bottom of the drink, and scattered on the table in the photo, are made of tapioca. Yes the same stuff used to make tapioca pudding. But these pearls are much larger. They are pretty flavorless on their own, and when cooked they have a nice chewy texture to them. So you get a drink and a snack together.
You may be able to find the pearls at a specialty Asian market. One 8 ounce bag makes 4-5 drinks. I bought mine on Amazon.
Another choice that I have purchased in the past:
And you are going to need some thick straws like these to suck up the beautiful pearls.
More Iced Tea Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Sip your way through summer with these delicious Iced Tea Recipes for #OurFamilyTable bloggers
Get More Iced Tea Recipes:
- Butterfly Pea Flower Iced Tea Latte from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Pineapple Bubble Tea from That Recipe
- Litchi Black Tea from Magical Ingredients
- Peach Tea Brined Chicken Wingsfrom Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Pineapple Iced Tea from The Freshman Cook
- Thai Iced Tea from Blogghetti
- 1 tea bag cherry tea
- ⅓ cup uncooked boba pearls (or the equivalent for 1 drink)
- 4 ounces pineapple juice (cold)
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (or milk plus sweetener of choice)
- water and ice cubes
- Boil water, measure out 6 ounces and add tea bag. Set aside to steep for 5 minutes then remove tea bag.
- Cook boba pearls according to package directions. (Usually, boil in water until tender and chewy, about 3-4 minutes.)
- Drain boba then add pineapple juice. Stir and let cool for a few minutes.
- Fill a tall glass about half way with ice cubes. Add cherry tea, cooked pearls with pineapple juice.
- Sweeten to taste with sweetened condensed milk.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Iced Tea Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!