No Bake Date and Nut Cookies are a healthy gluten free snack made with cereal, nuts and dried fruit.
A few years ago, I came across this recipe for my Grandma Ruth's Porcupine Cookies on a 3x5 card in my mother's writing. I asked Mom at the time about them and she didn't remember them either. Phew it wasn't just me!
I took the original recipe and made some healthier swaps them healthier. Then, I changed the name from Porcupine Cookies to the more accurate, and SEO friendly, "Date and Nut Cookies".
These are great when you want a little something sweet but don't feel like heating the house. It also helps use up that stale cereal at the bottom of the box that no one wants to eat.
If you eat them immediately they are nice and crispy thanks to the cereal. If you let them sit for awhile though the cereal absorbs the moisture from the honey and fruit and loses its crunch. They are still good, just different upon standing.
Cereal Not for Breakfast Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Cereal Isn't Just for Breakfast
- Captain Crunch Marshmallow Krispies by Blogghetti
- Cheerios Cinnamon Smoothie by Magical Ingredients
- Lucky Charms Smoothie by Our Good Life
- Lucky Charms Treats by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Melt and Stir Granola Bar Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- No Bake Cereal Bars by Making Miracles
- No Bake Date and Nut Cookies by That Recipe
- Raisin Bran Muffins by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Twice-Baked Cornflake Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
No Bake Date and Nut Cookies
- ½ cup dates (chopped)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup honey (maple syrup, agave or sugar)
- ½ cup nuts or seeds (chopped)
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a saucepan combine dates, egg and sweetener. Cook over LOW heat for about 5 minutes until dates soften and mixture is thick and sticky. Let cool.
- Add nuts, cereal and rice. Roll into balls then roll in coconut.
More No Bake Desserts
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Until next time, happy eating!
I like the addition of nuts or seeds too! Kicking crispies up a notch!
Anything is better with nuts or seeds in it. Well almost anything.
I like that there is no heat source needed at all for these cookies.
Aside from the few minutes cooking on the stove, which doesn't heat up the house too much (unless you have all the lights on to shoot a video)
I love the simplicity of the recipe and the addition of nuts. YUM