Grilled Carrot Bread Dessert Sandwiches are a simple but fun treat that can be made ahead and grilled up just before serving.
Instead of Carrot Cake, I made some mini Carrot Bread loaves with half all purpose flour and half whole wheat. You could make regular sized loaves, but I wanted mini versions for this. My son and I regularly toast up the carrot bread and slather on some cream cheese when I make it.
But, this time I went even further and added some crushed pineapple and a bit of powdered sugar to the cream cheese, then dunked the sandwiches in a milk egg combo and grilled them up like French toast. Top it off with more pineapple and a sprinkle (or twelve) of powdered sugar and this heavenly dessert was done.
If you want to serve it for a special occasion just make everything ahead except the final heating.
More Dessert Grilled Cheese Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
The Our Family Table Group got creative for #GrilledCheeseMonth and whipped up some dessert grilled cheese sandwiches
Try all the Delicious Dessert Grilled Cheese Recipes:
- Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese from Making Miracles
- Bread Cheese with Strawberry Salsa from Art of Natural Living
- Carrot Bread Dessert Sandwiches from That Recipe
- Chocolate Mascarpone Dessert Grilled Cheese from Palatable Pastime
- Pound Cake Strawberry Grilled Cheese from Magical Ingredients
- Strawberry and Pear Brie Grilled Cheese from Our Sutton Place
Grilled Carrot Bread Dessert Sandwiches
- 1 loaf carrot bread (recipe below)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (plus more for serving)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- Prepare the carrot bread ahead of time. When cool, thinly slice with a bread knife.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juices.
- In a small bowl, mix 2-3 tablespoons crushed pineapple and into the cream cheese. Thin to spreading consistency with reserved juice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, to taste. Don't worry too much if the mixture is a little lumpy.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on half of the pieces of bread then top with another slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl large enough to fit the sandwiches, whisk together egg and milk.
- Place sandwiches in the egg mixture and let soak about 30 seconds each side.
- Grill the sandwiches until golden brown and the center is heated, about 2-3 minutes a side.
- Cut into triangles and place on serving plate(s). Place a tablespoon of powdered sugar into a sifter or small sieve and sprinkle on top. Serve with additional crushed pineapple.
- ¾ cups carrots (sliced in ¼ inch pieces)
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt (or plain yogurt with a teaspoon of vanilla extract)
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Large egg white
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts (finely chopped)
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook carrots in boiling water 15 minutes until tender, drain. Process in food processer or blender using some of the cooking water until smooth. Only use enough water to blend and make it smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and cloves.
- In a small bowl whisk together carrot, sugar, oil, yogurt, and eggs. Fold carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Add nuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on the wire rack.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Carrot Dessert Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!