Make pizza night special with this semi homemade Grilled Chicken White Pizza. Perfect for those nights when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.
Or you can use a jarred alfredo sauce and either store bought frozen bread dough that has been thawed or a premade pizza crust. Or a combination of the two.
Add some leftover grilled chicken and roasted red peppers or sun dried tomato or fresh herbs or anything else you fancy an your pizza. Yes, even pineapple.
Tips for Grilled Pizza
Pizza can be tricky to grill on a typical gas grill because you want the dough to cook and cheese to melt while the bottom of the crust gets lightly charred but not burnt.
Clean and oil the grates: give the grates a good scrub then coat with a little oil applied with a rag before grilling
Keep the dough thin: a thicker crust will take longer to bake through, and no one likes a soggy crust.
Indirect heat if you can: If you want a thicker crust, this is a must! If you have four or more burners, preheat the grill then turn off the center two (if possible) and place the pizza over that to cook the crust and melt the cheese, moving it over the heat to crisp the bottom crust at the very end.
Our grill only has two burners, so for a thicker crust pizza I place a pie pan directly on the center of the grill and the pizza pan on that; then finish with the last few minutes directly over the flame.
Use the right tools: you either want a pizza pan with holes like this that can easily be lifted on and off the grill
Or use a pizza peel (pizza spatula) to set the pizza directly on the grate.
One work around for not having the pan or peel is to put the rolled out dough on a pan or baking sheet and flip it onto the grill to cook for jus a minute or two before adding the toppings to the cooked side and charring the other. We lost half an individual pizza when my son had loaded a thinly rolled crust with toppings and I couldn't get it onto the grates cleanly.
More Grilling Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Get More Great Grilling Recipes:
- Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Family Around the Table
- Grilled Chicken White Pizza from That Recipe
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Paneer from Magical Ingredients
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Potato Packets from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Pork Loin from The Freshman Cook
- No Marinade Shish Kabobs from Art of Natural Living
Grilled Chicken White Pizza
- 1 recipe pizza crust
- 1 - 1½ cup alfredo sauce (store bought or recipe that follows)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated or sliced thinly)
- ½ pound grilled chicken breast (cut in thin strips)
- herbs, vegetables, etc. (optional)
- Roll out the pizza dough into one large circle or four smaller crusts for individual pizzas.
- Place pizza dough on the pizza pan for large pizza. For individual pizzas, if you do not have a pizza peel to move them off of the grill I recommend putting the dough on a plate then flipping it immediately onto the grill for a minute or two then removing it to flip back over and add toppings to the lightly grilled side.
- Add alfredo sauce, cheese, sliced chicken and any additional toppings (roasted red peppers and basil are my favorite!).
- Place the pizza on the grill and lower the heat directly under the pizza. Close the lid and let cook until cheese is melted and bottom is slightly charred.
- Cut and serve.
Easy Alfredo Sauce
- ¼ cup butter (or more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups milk
- In a medium saucepan, add butter and garlic and cook for a few minutes over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Add flour and cook, while stirring, for another minute or two.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir in until melted.
- Slowly pour in milk and stir until smooth. Continue cooking until sauce reaches desired thickness.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Pizza Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!