This breakfast sandwich combines a fried chicken breast, scrambled egg and cheese on a buttermilk biscuit for a delicious breakfast without going to Chick-fil-A... even on Sundays.
Fried chicken for breakfast may sound strange, but pop it on a biscuit with some egg and cheese on top and it is something special. Especially when it is a Chick-fil-A copycat.
Alternatives to frying chicken
At the restaurant the chicken is pressure cooked in peanut oil. You can use a deep fat fryer, or heavy pan with oil to fry with you if you prefer.
If you don't want to fry you can air fry or even bake it instead. Spraying with a little non-stick spray will help crisp up the crust a bit.
Ingredients for Chick-fil-A clone breakfast sandwich
Biscuits: use any biscuit recipe you prefer including the ones in the refrigerated tubes. If you prefer homemade you can try one of the recipes in the Notes section of the recipe.
Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, or thighs if you prefer.
Peanut Oil: For frying. Or any other frying oil you prefer.
Cheese: Use American slices if you prefer or sliced cheddar or any other cheese you like.
Pickle juice: This is one of the secrets to this recipe. It adds a pleasant little tang and tenderizes the chicken.
Powdered sugar: The powdered sugar adds a touch of sweetness to counter the tang of the pickle juice.
Other ingredients: eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper
More Breakfast Sandwich Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Start the day off right with these delicious breakfast sandwiches.
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese from Art of Natural Living
- Chick-fil-a Biscuit Sandwich from That Recipe
- Easy Freezer Breakfast Burritos from Jen Around the World
- Easy Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Grilled Apple Butter Breakfast Sandwich from Palatable Pastime
- Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Simple Breakfast Sliders from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- 4 large buttermilk biscuits (see note)
- peanut oil for frying (optional)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 5 large eggs (mixed use)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices cheese (American, cheddar, etc.)
- Prepare biscuits per recipe.
- If frying, heat oil in pressure cooker to 400°F. If baking or air frying, preheat to 375°F.
- Pound chicken breasts flat and cut each in half to make 4 large pieces. In a large zip to lock bag, combine pickle juice and ¼ cup water. Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a flat bowl combine 1 egg and milk thoroughly. In another bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, pepper and salt. Dip each piece in the egg/milk mixture, then coat with the flour mixture, then place gently in the hot oil (or on a baking sheet or in air fryer).
- Pressure Cooker: close pressure cooker, bring to pressure, cook for 3½ minutes, do a quick release and remove chicken to paper towels to drain.Air Fryer: air fry for 7-10 minutes, flipping half way through cooking time.Baking: bake 10-15 minutes, flipping half way through cooking time.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet. Scramble remaining 4 eggs in a bowl. Pour in the hot skillet and cook without stirring just until cooked through.
- Remove egg from pan and cut into 4 pieces.
- Cut biscuits in half and a piece of chicken, egg and cheese to each. Serve immediately.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Breakfast Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!