Give the gift of homemade whole wheat bread to anyone, near or far, with this easy to make mix in a jar. All they need to do is add water, stir and bake. In an hour they have a lovely loaf of freshly baked healthy bread! And a big thank you for you. Or you can make this One Hour Whole Wheat Bread for yourself.
This is simply the One Hour Bread I have blogged about before with the dry ingredients mixed together in a jar. Yes, you can bake a loaf of whole wheat bread without kneading from start to finish in an hour! It tastes wonderful, but is really best the first day.
The best jars to use for this are the 24 ounce size, which can be hard to find at a store. I usually save and reuse jars from pasta sauce for this. Or you can by them online (affiliate link!) or use a quart size with some extra padding on top to make it look pretty.
I leave out the honey or molasses for gift giving unless I happen to have packets of real honey to add to the jar. I admit I am a snob and don’t care for honey flavored corn syrup. The recipient can add the sweetener of their choice. It’s purpose isn’t to make the bread sweet, but to give the yeast something to munch on so your bread will rise.
And the last ingredient note is to be sure to use yeast labeled for Bread Makers or Rapid Rise and make sure it is fresh! Otherwise the bread will not rise.
Gifts in a Jar: One Hour Whole Wheat Bread Mix. Whole wheat bread mix in a jar for gift giving. Bread is ready in one hour from start to finish.
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose, or whole wheat bread flour or a combination
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Rapid Rise yeast may be labelled for Bread Machines - one packet
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
Combine ingredients and place in a 1 quart mason jar (24-28 ounce jars are actually better if you have them). Decorate jar and add instructions.
Be sure to include a copy of the baking instructions with each jar. (printable version here)
Combine contents of the jar with 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 100 degrees) and 1 teaspoon of honey or molasses. Stir to combine. Dough should stick to the spoon slightly, if it does not add a little more water.
Put dough in an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 bread pan and spread evenly.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the bread pan near the oven and cover with a towel for 20-30 minutes until it has risen over the top of the pan.
Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes then remove loaf from pan.
Creative K Kids’ Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party
Danielle from Creatively Homespun, Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas, , Audrey from That Recipe, and Ashley from Forgetful Momma are our co-hosts for December!
Please make sure that you follow them in at least one way! They will be commenting on and pinning many of your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.