Cajun Potato Salad with an easy homemade Green Onion Salad Dressing is a flavor-packed side dish perfect for your next picnic or cookout
What makes this potato salad Cajun?
Well, it starts with the Holy Trinity of Cajun recipes: onions, bell peppers and celery. Then there’s a healthy dose of cayenne pepper to kick it up.
And the recipe itself is a simplified version of one found in Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen cookbook. My copy was purchased by my mother when it first came out in 1984 and it gets used quite a bit, even with a “spice-o-phobic” child.
Can you use packaged Green Onion Dressing mix?
For the love of all that is delicious and wholesome, WHYYYYYYYYYY?!
Ok, sorry. that may have been a tad judgmental.
Salad Dressing is so easy to make at home whether it is a vinaigrette or a creamy dressing like this one. All real ingredients, less salt and sugar. Just dump the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. You can do it! And your taste buds will thank you.
Perfect Potato Recipes
Today we are honoring the humble potato with a myriad of ways to prepare this wondrous spud.
- Cajun Potato Salad by That Recipe
- Dutch Farm Salad by Art of Natural Living
- Greek Potatoes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
- JoJo Potato Wedges by Making Miracles
- Loaded Mashed Potato Patties by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Oven Roasted Breakfast Potatoes by Blogghetti
- Pizza Style Baked Potatoes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic Potato Loaves by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Twice Baked Potatoes by Family Around the Table
Cajun Potato Salad with Green Onion Salad Dressing
Green Onion Salad Dressing
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup green onions, roughly chopped ((reserve a tablespoon or so of green tops for serving))
- 1½ tablespoons Creole or brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 medium Yukon gold or russet potatoes, cut in quarters
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cayenne (red pepper) (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Creole or brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (more or less to taste)
- In a large saucepan, place potatoes and eggs and cover with water ½ inch over the top. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- While potatoes and eggs are cooking, place all salad dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Drain potatoes and eggs, cover with ice water let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into ¼ inch pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Peel and roughly chop the boiled eggs. Add to the potatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including dressing and fold gently until mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
- Sprinkle with paprika and finely chopped green onion leaves for serving.