Tangy Sourdough Muffins studded with fresh strawberries are delicious for breakfast brunch, afternoon tea, snack, dessert, you name it.
Sourdough and fresh berries are a wonderful combination, tangy and sweet. These muffins are perfect for spring and summer when strawberries are at their best.
About Sourdough Starter
Long before sourdough became trendy it was the leavener of choice for pioneers, miners and other homesteaders. None of this "hydration" talk or "discarding" starter nonsense (throw away food?! heaven forbid!). You used it to cook with regularly and always saved a bit to keep the starter going for the next recipe.
If you do not have sourdough starter ask around to see if you can get some. Sourdough fans love to share starter, knowledge and recipes. Or you can make your own (it will take a week or more) with these easy instructions from my blogging buddy Erin at The Spiffy Cookie.
Can you use discard for this? I am not a big fan of the term discard. I really don't like the concept of throwing out food. But yes, you can. The sourdough is here for taste, the leavening comes from the baking powder and soda.
More Mother's Day Brunch Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Celebrate the Mom's in your life with a lovely brunch including these delicious recipes:
Mother's Day Brunch Ideas
- Blueberry Buckle from Art of Natural Living
- Chef Salad Kebabs from Palatable Pastime
- Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Dutch Baby Pancake from Jen Around the World
- Hawaij Spiced Coffee Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Rainbow Salad with Tandoori Dressing from Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Strawberry Muffins from That Recipe
- The British Bloody Mary from Karen's Kitchen Stories
Strawberry Sourdough Muffins
- 1 cup sourdough
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter flavored coconut oil or shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cup fresh strawberries (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with wrappers.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sourdough, sugar, oil and egg.
- Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake at 400°F 20-25 minutes, until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Sourdough Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!